Sunday, January 9, 2011

Grayson James Barker

I don't remember much that has happened since I last posted in July, but I am going to highlight Grayson's birth story.

On Saturday, November 20th, I told Tom that I was just going to lay down and take a nap on the couch for an hour, and then get ready to go to Stake Conference. I laid down at about 12:45. At 1:15 I rolled over on to my left side. I felt pressure for a minute, and then what felt like being kicked in the bladder by Grayson. Next thing you know, I started laughing and told Tom that I think I just wet my pants. I got up off of the couch and went to the bathroom, where fluid continually leaked out of me.

I called the doctor on call, and she called me back and told me that if it still feels like I am leaking in about 10 minutes, that I should probably head on over to the Labor and Delivery Unit to be checked out. Sure enough, ten minutes later…leaking fluid. House is a disaster, hospital back isn’t packed, and I am just laughing. Not believing that this is happening.

We threw some items together, and went to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. We went up to the Labor and Delivery Center. I checked in and told them that I think that my water just broke. They took me into a room, had me change, and then did some kind of test to check to see if my water had truly broken. Sure enough, it had.

Tom and I kind of looked at each other, We couldn’t believe this was happening. I get admitted to the hospital, They put me on a Pitocin drip and at 4:30, the cramping started. By 9:45, I am in an extreme amount of pain thanks to the pitocin. The anesthesiologist is called in, and arrives 20 minutes later. By 10:45 pm, I am feeling pretty good. The exams don’t hurt anymore, and I am feeling nothing. At this point in time, I think that surely by 2 or 3 am, baby Grayson will be hanging out in my arms. That is definitely how it DID NOT happen.

By about 4:30 am, the anesthesiologist is called back again because the epidural has begun to wear off, but only in a certain place. After he is done, I am feeling mighty fine once again. At 5:45 am, the nurse comes in and tells me that the on call doctor has called in sick, so they called another doctor in, which just so happened to be MY DOCTOR! I was so excited. I love my doctor.

At 6 am, I begin to push…and push…and push. At 7 am, my doctor says to stop pushing so that I can rest for a while. At 8:15 am, pushing resumes…It resumes until 9:50 am. All this time, Grayson comes down with every contraction, but as soon as the contraction is over and I stop pushing, Grayson stops cooperating. By this time, my doctor is becoming concerned because Grayson isn’t coming out, and he is too far up to use forceps or the vacuum. She said that we might have to end up doing a c-section because we have been going at this for way too long. I said a quick prayer saying that I didn't want to have a C-Section and that I was willing to do whatever needed to be done in order to avoid a C-Section. At this point, I tell Tom I need a barf bag because I am going to be sick. So, I throw up. Three times. My doctor then says, “I know that you probably don’t want to hear this right now, but you throwing up is making me happy. You throwing up has made the baby come down into the correct position.”

At 10:13 am on Sunday, November 21, 2010, Grayson James Barker was born.

They told us that there was a possibility that he would have to be taken to the nursery for observation since he was born at 37 weeks, and they wanted to make sure that his lungs were functioning correctly. By this point in time, all I really wanted to do was sleep. I was so tired. I was able to hold Grayson before they took him to the nursery. Tom accompanied him, while they took care of the finishing touches on me.

We were transferred from the delivery room to the recovery room. Where we stayed from Sunday-Tuesday.

At this point in time, we had to feed Grayson with formula because he had a high level and was at high risk for jaundice. We took him back to the hospital the day after we were released for some more lab work to double check his levels. We continued to supplement with formula until my milk came in. The day after Thanksgiving he had a follow up appointment with his pediatrician to follow up with the Jaundice and for a check up. He had lost another ounce despite our best feeding efforts. We were asked to come back on Tuesday, November 30th where we were pleased to find out that he had gained all of his birth weight back plus some.

Grayson is such a good baby. He eats and sleeps. He doesn’t cry unless we undress him to change his diapers. He doesn’t like to be cold or naked. He sure is precious though. We are really enjoying him. He makes the funniest noises.

Tom has been a tremendous help. He has changed so many diapers and has handled so many feedings so that I can just rest. I am trying to sleep when the baby sleeps. Right now being the exception, because I want to write this.

We are excited for the adventures that lay ahead.

Upcoming posts will include many pictures, and Grayson's first Christmas.

1 comment:

dxeechick said...

Isn't it amazing what we are capable of!! I'm proud of you woman. You pushed for a long time! And Grayson sounds like a blessed little guy. Hooray for husbands too!