Sunday, October 5, 2008

When We Do The Things We Should...

So all week long I have been thinking about how much I have been neglecting things that needed to be done around the house. Mounds of laundry, dirty kitchen, piles of stuff all around the living room. I don't like things to add up like that but Tom and I are both so busy that we tend to put that kind of stuff off. I was thinking I will just do it this weekend. Then I remembered that it was conference weekend and was trying to decide which sessions of conference I should watch. I watched Saturday mornings session and was absolutely thrilled when a temple for the greater Kansas City area was announced. =) There were lots of great talks during that session that I felt were directly written for me and for the things that I am going through and facing at this point. After the first session I began attacking the kitchen. Once that was done, Tom yelled from the other room that the 2nd Saturday session was starting. I was on a roll with cleaning and didn't want to stop. I finally decided watching conference was more important and that I needed to hear what was being said. Sure enough many more talks that I felt were written just for me.

During the Sunday sessions, I kind of felt the same way. I have a lot of things to do blah...blah...blah. Needless to say I set aside time for myself to watch all four sessions of conference AND in between times have gotten everything accomplished that I wanted to get accomplished. It is amazing to me to that by doing the things that I should have done (ie...watching conference) I was able to get everything done that I needed to. I was supplied with "extra" time.

I enjoyed L. Tom Perry's talk about not letting the stresses and strains of life get to us. Remain positive. I also enjoyed his quote, "The best is yet to be." This is definitely something I need to work on. I need to remember that I need to take things one step at a time and as long as I am going in the right direction I will be o.k.

I also loved Elder Wirthlin's talk. "Come what may and love it." I loved his saying, "Learn to laugh." He explained that adversity can be a blessing in our lives depending upon how we deal with it. All stuff I really need to work on.

I enjoyed conference a lot. I am excited for April when we get to do it all again.

1 comment:

Becky said...

When we heard the temple announcement, Tom and I started saying, "Yay! That's Erin and Tom's new temple!!" We were so excited for you- the temples around here are so busy, it was about time!